Compound words can open up a whole new way of looking at the words we say and how they can mean different things when put together. This My Busy Bots busy bag is a fun and memorable tool to show how two unrelated words can be combined to make a brand-new word. At this development stage, children are already familiar with how words can be decoded into sounds (like r-a-t), but compound words show them how words can be broken down into parts that have different meanings. A great help when learning to read bigger words!
This activity is suitable for little ones from 5 - 7 years old. As all children develop in their own time, this is a guideline and may vary with your child.
- An A6 information card with instructions and ideas to extend the activities and list of skills being developed
- 18 Laminated A7 activity cards
- 36 Laminated small cards (42 x 42 mm)
- 1 Brightly coloured storage bag
Skills being developed:
- Fine motor skills: Thumb opposition; in-hand manipulation; wrist extension; whole hand grasp; hand eye coordination and control; grasp and release; dexterity; bilateral hand coordination.
- Visual perceptual skills: Visual tracking and scanning; motor planning; visual discrimination; visual motor integration.
- Cognitive skills: Concentration; problem solving; puzzle solving skills; language and vocabulary; sorting and organisation; matching.
- Life skills: Patience and perseverance; creativity and imagination.
* Bags and content colours may vary.
Great activity, a nice introduction to words and spelling.
This little bag is brilliant.
Both my children have enjoyed it my children are 4 years old and 7 years old.
My 4 year old is matching sounds and pictures
My 7 year old is spelling the words and writing them down .
Good spelling practice too
My kids are French speakers and it's a good way for them to learn English!